Cambria County, Pennsylvania
Annals of Jackson Township
Mrs. Betty Burkhart
Pike Brethren Church
The Pike Brethren Church at Mundy's Corner employed the same ministers
as the Vinco Brethren did up until recent years. The Davis, Burkhart,
Gray, Plgarts, Good, Stewart and Byers families were among the first
members of this congregation, and descendants of these families are
active participants at the church. Later the David Rose family became
members and their descendants make up a large part of the present-day
membership. After the decline of the Evangelical Church situated
many of its members attended the
Brethren church, although several of them continued to worship among
those of their own faith at distant churches.
In 1911 it was voted to move the
church across the road from where it then was and remodel it, and money
was donated to proceed with the work. John
Gray of Ebensburg gave the money to have the church, moved and Al Hoy
of Johnstown did the work. Mrs. Thomas Davis—widow of "Captain Tom"
Davis, early residents of this community, a daughter of Joseph Burkhart,
first settler, was a generous giver to the church. On January 9, 1912
work was complete and dedication
Mr. Gray bought three acres of the land adjoining the church building and sold it off in lots at ten dollars for each lot until he got what he had paid for the entire piece, then donated the remainder of the land to the church to be used for a cemetery. The land was originally the Vickroy estate.
From time to time the church building has undergone repairs. When Rev. Forest Byers, grandson of Elder William Byers, one of the early and best remembered pastors, was the pastor the interior of the edifice was changed considerably. Two rooms were added and an outside entrance was built that led to the basement.
A bell was installed in the belfry later which was a gift from William Byers, a son of the Elder Byers, who lived at that time in this community, but who spent the latter part of his life at Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
recent pastorate of Rev. Kenneth Ashman the value of the church property
was greatly increased by the building of a modern Cape Cod cottage, the
erection of a two-car garage, and extensive repairs to the church
building. The basement was divided into rooms for the use of the Sunday
school, a small room was added to the rear of the church and other minor
features added that increased the beauty of the building. The lawn was
also graded and seeded and walks built.
the Tribune article, "Elder Byers was a man of extraordinary physical
strength and in his younger days stood much in the same relation to the
fuel question that our coal miner does today. At that time wood
furnished the fuel for all occasions. All the iron furnaces used
charcoal and the engines of the Portage Railroad were fired with wood
and the hardy young mountaineers became expert woodchoppers. Billy
Byers with his ax weighing seven pounds was never beaten in the many
contests he had with the men who claimed to be hard to beat. He chopped
hundreds of cords for his friend, Col. Jim Cooper, who was
superintendent of the Old Cambria Furnace on Laurel Run. During the
life of his first wife, Rev. Byers bought a farm in Jackson township
near the Stone Pike which he cleared and improved and which is now one
of the best in this section and on which he resided until his death."
This farm was later occupied by his son, William, and his family, and is
now owned and occupied by Stephen Gallo and his family.
To Be Continued Next Week