Jackson Township
Cambria County, Pennsylvania

Chapter 20

Annals of Jackson Township

Mrs. Betty Burkhart
Nanty Glo Journal

August 27, 1942

Communities And Their First Settlers (Continued)

At one time this section was called the Murray tract but was later owned by Wm. Stewart.  David Burkhart purchased the Stewart farm but resold part of it to that family, then built his own house, which is now the center of the Millwood community.  On June 21, 1912 Mr. Burkhart and his wife, Ellen (Shaffer) Burkhart, had acre lots surveyed and presented one to each of their six children.  These lots bordered on the right-of-way of the newly built Southern Cambria Railway and as a name was needed to designate the place, Roscoe Burkhart, a son, chose the name Millwood which was most appropriate.  Acres of woodland surrounded the sawmill, which his father owned and operated.  So the little community of Millwood came into existence.

A son, Harry, built his home on his lot and two daughters, Huldah (Burkhart) Rorabaugh and Letty (Burkhart) Wissinger, built on their property.  After Roscoe's death, Wade Burkhart, a grandson, established his home on Roscoe's lot.  From time to time others have come into the  community until twelve families are now residents there. Ross Rager who lives on the farm cleared and owned first bv his grandfather, John Rager is in the Millwood community.  Martin Rager son of John, lived all his life on the farm, which is one of the best in the section.

David Burkhart and his wife were lifelong members of the Pike Brethren Church and were among its most active supporters.  Daniel Burkhart, an elder brother, who was well-known in the township, was also active in the affairs of the Brethren Church, and was one of its charter members.  Olin and Ruby (Burkhart) Arnott of New York City are two of the children of David and his wife.

Mundy's Corner

In early times this community was a vast forest, with its population limited to the occupants of two small cabins that stood near the old Washington road.  They were the homes of two French families by the name of Ballou, although on old maps the name is spelled Bellows, and this corner was known as Bellows Cabins.  Later, with the building of additional roads, other settlers came to this part of the country.

This small, but rapidly growing community was officially named Mundy's Square, although to the writer's knowledge it has never been called that.  More will be said of that later.  However, the place was named for the Monday family who were among the earliest residents of this community.  Now we spell the name "Mundy," but Monday is the correct spelling.

Martin Monday, the first of his family in this locality, came to this country from Germany in 1848 and went to Pittsburgh where he married Katherine Kauffman, who had come from Germany two years previously.  After their marriage the couple came here and settled just beyond the township line, near the present airport site, on what is known as the George place.  Mr. Monday purchased 200 acres of land and built his home on the corner where Luther's restaurant now stands.  The large tract of land extended in all four directions from the corner and was purchased for the sum of $300 complete. Mr. Monday received his naturalization papers in 1851.  He was the father of eight children and was one of the most highly respected citizens of the county.  He died in April 1882, and his wife died in 1903.

A daughter of the Monday's, Cassie, met a tragic death when she was 17 years of age. Buser and Howser of Pittsburgh murdered her and Polly Paul of near Summerhill, with whom she was staying at the time, in 1865.  The trial of the murderers was a famous one.  Miss Monday had been staying at the home of Miss Paul, helping with her weaving and about dusk one evening a neighbor's daughter, in search of cows, heard screaming at Miss Paul's home and saw two men running from that direction.  About noon the next day the body of Miss Paul was found in the barn and that of Miss Monday in the orchard.  Both had been brutally killed with heavy clubs, which were later found.  The younger girl was presumably trying to evade her assailants and was climbing over a "steak-and-rider" fence when they caught her as the fence broke.  The crime was committed for money, which Miss Paul had in her possession.  At first suspicion rested upon a man named Ream and a relative of his named Riddle.  They were arrested and confined to prison and in 1865 were tried for the murders.  In the meantime, however, a reward of 500 had been offered for the arrest and conviction of the murderers and Houser and Buser were arrested in an Allegheny City (Pittsburgh) rooming house on the strength of a story related by a colored man with who they had been on friendly terms, and who had been a cell-mate of theirs in jail at one time.  After a six-day trial the men were found guilty, and were hanged in April 1866.

Another child of this pioneer family was Frances, who married Christopher C. King, a jeweler of Pittsburgh for many years.  She died at the home of a niece, Mrs. William Snyder of Mundy's Corner, at the age of 85.  A son, John, was stable boss for the Cambria Steel Company for many years, and was the father of six children, one of who is Mrs. Snyder.

A well-known man to the residents of Cambria county, and particularly to this section at one time was Elias, the youngest son of Martin Monday and his wife.  He never married.  Elias held several township offices at one time or another and the sight of him walking or driving over to the country side was a familiar one.  He died in 1928 at the age of 66 years.   Mrs. Mary (Monday) Varner of East Taylor township is another well-known child of Martin Monday and his wife.  The frame house and barn Martin built was later bought by William Crouse, from the John Monday heirs, about 1903.

In 1890 Alexander Dearmin had a post office about a half mile from the crossroads, which was called Dearmin in his honor.  The name Dearmin appears on old maps to designate this section, instead of Mundy's Corner.  Mail was carried here from Conemaugh and Johnstown, and from here it would be taken into Glen Glade (Nanty-Glo).  George Simmons would get the mail for delivery.  In later years, Elmer Rodkey of Vinco was the mail carrier.

Alexander Dearmin came here from Altoona and bought his land from Israel Kemmerer who lived in Hollidaysburg.  In addition to being postmaster, Mr. Dearmin also conducted a general merchandise store at his place.  The Dearmin community is now considered part of Mundy's Corner but the half dozen or more houses built at that time are still standing and the Dearmin descendants still reside here.  At one time near the old water trough at Harry Daughenbaugh's place there was a toll gate, and a hotel stood just above, on the hill, where the highway now runs.

Among the old time residents of this community we find the name of Adam Rose whose 150 descendants are or have been residents of this community.  He was a son of parents who were German born and he married Mary Ann Simmons, daughter of the first settler on the farm now owned and occupied by George Rose, his grandson.  David Rose, a son of Adam, married Amanda Dishong in 1872.  He had a sawmill and had a small coal mine, in addition to the farm.  David was the father of Arch, George, Howard, Benjamin, William, (of Somerset county), John and Abbie (Rose) Leidy and Ella (Rose) Grove.  Adams' daughter, Rose, married Noah Dishong in 1871 and they settled on what is now the Deetscreek farm.  Another daughter of the first Rose was Catherine Lavina (Rose) Link of Clinefelter community who married Jacob Link, the grandson of a first settler in that community.

To Be Continued Next Week

Back to top