Jackson Township
Cambria County, Pennsylvania


Domestic Violence

Be Prepared To Get Away
  1.  Keep a spare set of keys, a set of clothes, important papers, prescriptions and some money with someone you trust.

  2.  Keep any evidence of physical abuse (ripped clothes, photos of bruises and injuries, etc.).

  3.  Plan the safest time to get away.

  4.  Know where you can go for help, tell someone what is happening to you.  Have the phone numbers of friends, relatives, and domestic violence programs with you.

  5.  Call the police if you are in danger and need help.

  6.  If you are injured, go to a hospital emergency room or doctor and report what happened to you, ask that they document your visit and take photos.

  7.  Plan with your children. Identify a safe place for them, a room with a lock or a neighbor's house, where they can go for help.  Reassure them their job is to stay safe, not protect you.

  8.  Arrange a signal with a neighbor, for example, if the porch light is on, call 911.

  9.  Contact the local domestic violence hotline listed below to find out about laws, the shelter, and other resources available to you before you have to use them or during a crisis. 

Domestic Violence Links
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
National Network to End Domestic Violence
Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Violence Against Women Office

Police Procedure When Responding
To Domestic Violence

  1.  General Rule:  Police responding to a domestic violence case on or after April 16, 1986 have the right, pursuant to 18 Pa. C.S. 2711, to make a warrantless arrest when they have probable cause to believe an individual has violated the Pa. Crimes Code relating to involuntary manslaughter, simple assault, 3, 4 and 5 of the Aggravated Assault Section or Recklessly Endangering Another Person perpetrated against his spouse or other family member with whom he resides or has formerly resided although the events did not take place in the presence of the police officer.

  2.  A police officer may not arrest a person without a warrant pursuant to 18 Pa. C.S. 2711 unless the officer has observed recent physical injury to the victim or other corroborative evidence of an assault upon the victim.

  3.  A police officer shall seize all weapons used by the defendant in the commission of the foregoing offenses.

  4.  A person arrested pursuant to 18 Pa. C.S. 2711 shall be afforded a preliminary arraignment without unnecessary delay before the proper issuing authority and in no case shall the police officer release the defendant from custody prior to taking him / her before issuing authority.

  5.  When a police officer responds to a domestic violence case the police officer shall notify the victim of the rights.

Notification Of Rights By A Police Officer To A Victim Of Domestic Violence
  1.  You, as a victim of domestic violence, have a right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse pursuant to the Act of 1976 (P.L. 1090, No. 218), known and referred to as the "Protection From Abuse Act" and the following rights may be available to you under this Act:
a.  An order may be entered by the court restraining the perpetrator of the abuse from further acts of abuse;
b.  An order directing the abuser to leave your household may be entered;
c.  An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment may be entered;
d.  An order awarding you or the other parent temporary custody of or temporary visitation with your child or children; and
e.  An order may be entered by the court directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the perpetrator of the abuse has a legal obligation to do so.

  2.  If the abuser threatens or intimidates you while criminal charges are pending against him for assaulting you, you may obtain a protective order pursuant to the Act of December 4, 1980 (P.L. 1097, No. 187) known as the Victim and Witness Intimidation Act.  To do this, go to the District Attorney's office.

  3.  You may be entitled to crime victim's compensation.  For more information contact the office of the District Attorney or call your own attorney.

  4.  In situations where no arrest is made, you may still be able to file a private criminal complaint against the assailant.  The police officer can tell you where to do this.

  5.  You are notified that a shelter is available to you and your family members.

Back to top